October Garden Tasks
- Continue to divide and transplant perennials and begin fall clean up
- Spring flowering plants may be planted for filling the spaces between
shrubs with color.
- During dry periods ensure that sufficient water is available for good
bud formation in spring flowering plants.
- Continue watering as needed.
- Continue fall leaf clean up.
- Deciduous hedging plants which are
bare-rooted may be planted between now and early spring (provided that the
ground is not frozen). Trim back excessively long or damaged roots before
- Hedges generally should not be trimmed from now until the spring, unless
the weather has been unusually mild.
- New lawns can be seeded or new turf can be laid. The ground is first dug
over, removing all perennial weeds. The large lumps of soil can be left to
be broken down by frost action, and the surface raked level in spring.
- The remains of summer flowering annuals may be