Summer’s color gives way to the deeper hues of autumn’s glory … now is the time to start getting the garden prepared for the winter ahead, whilst still enjoying the lovely hues of the fall foliage.
- Transplant trees and shrub in the cooler weather and water once a week until the end of season.
- Seed or sod a new lawn.
- Apply a fertilizer to lawn, use a slow release fertilizer to prevent leaching.
- Avoid fertilizing and pruning trees and shrub as this will only encourage new growth which may not harden before winter.
- Harvest apples and pears.
- As the cooler weather approaches the growth of grass slows down. General maintenance work can be done in this period.
- Falling leaves may be raked off the lawn.
- Check that autumn flowering herbaceous plants are staked effectively.
- Divide and transplant daylilies and iris.